Gettin' Toasty #147
President's Distinguished Club 2011 - 2012
Competent Communicator and Competent Leader Award Objectives
The Toastmasters program is divided into two separate tracks, Communication and Leadership, with members progressing along each track by presenting speeches and taking on roles within their club, district, and Toastmasters International itself. Toastmasters members begin with the Competent Communcator Program and Competent Leadership Program. There are ten components to each after which Toastmasters receive
Competent Communicator and Competent Leader Awards
COMPETENT COMMUNICATOR OBJECTIVES
- The Ice Breaker The first speech of the Toastmasters program is about introducing yourself to your peers, providing a benchmark for your current skill level, and standing and speaking without falling over.
- Organize Your Speech Introduces the basic concepts of organizing a speech around a speech outline.
- Get to the Point Clearly state your speech goal, and make sure that every element of your speech focuses on that goal.
- How to Say It Examines word choice, sentence structure, and rhetorical devices.
- Your Body Speaks Shows how to complement words with posture, stance, gestures, facial expressions, and eye contact.
- Vocal Variety Guides you to add life to your voice with variations in pitch, pace, power, and pauses.
- Research Your Topic Addresses the importance of backing up your arguments with evidence, and touches on the types of evidence to use.
- Get Comfortable With Visual Aids Examines the use of slides, transparencies, flip charts, whiteboards, or props.
- Persuade With Power Discusses audience analysis and the different forms of persuasion available to a speaker.
- Inspire Your Audience The last of ten speeches, this project challenges the speaker to draw all their skills together to deliver a powerful inspirational message.
COMPETENT LEADERSHIP OBJECTIVES
- Listening and Leadership Objectives Determine your current listening skills, Identify the seven steps to better listening, Practice listening skills in various meeting roles.
- Critical Thinking Objectives Determine your current critical thinking skills, Practice critical-thinking skills in various meeting roles.
- Giving Feedback Objectives Determine your current skills in giving feedback, Identify the steps in giving feedback effectively, Practice giving feedback as you serve in various meeting roles.
- Time Management Objectives Determine your current time-management skills, Identify steps to effectively manage time, Practice time-management skills in various club roles.
- Planning and Implementation Objectives Determine your current planning and implementation skills, Identify steps in planning and implementation process, Practice planning and implementation skills in various club roles.
- Organizing and Delegating Objectives Determine your current skills in organizing and delegating, Identify steps in the organization and delegation process, Practice skills in organizing and delegation during various club roles.
- Developing your Facilitation Skills Objectives Determine your present facilitation abilities, Identify facilitation strategies, Practice facilitation skills in various meeting roles.
- Motivating People Objectives Determine your current motivational skills, Identify conditions that motivate people, Practice motivational skills while serving in club roles.
- Mentoring Objectives Determine your current mentoring skills, Identify the steps in being a good mentor, Practice mentoring skills in various club roles
- Team Building Objectives Determine your current team-building skills, Identify the steps in building a team, Practice team-building skills while serving in various club roles.